Monday, March 20, 2006

fabric

When I decided I might be interested in sewing I went online and ordered 2 yards of Heather Ross fabric and 1 of Alexander Henry. Then I went thrifting for mad practice scraps. I certainly didn't want to mess-up on the good stuff. Now that I am a master pro-professional bag maker, I may have to buy me some more good stuff. I mean what kind of seamstress? would I be if I never got new fancy material to use, right? I don't have any fabric stores near by me so I 'm gonna have to go online and see what's what. I know Amy Butler has some goodies I like. I've had her stuff bookmarked for awhile. It is gonna hurt this cheapskate to spend a chunk of change on some nice stuff. Then I'll be more worried about making mistakes on it. I have a hard time cutting up my cheap thrifted sheets (above photo) as it is. I want to start my second bag but I don't have much in the way of coordinating fabrics. The problem with only buying what is available at a thrifty store I guess.

5 Comments:

Blogger beki said...

Do you have a wal-mart nearby? Their fabric isn't the greatest, but sometimes you get lucky on the $2 table. Ordering online can get really expensive!

10:26 AM  
Blogger laura capello said...

I try to hit sales; also like to go to small locall-owned fabric stores. They are more expensive than joanne's, walmart, etc, but they have a MUCH better selection and quality. Plus, they always ask me to so them my finished projects, which I think is nice.

Fnd a yellow pages (I use Yahoo's -- it's not the greatest but it works) and type in quilt or fabric and see what you get. You might be surprised at all the little out of the way fabric stores you find.

1:01 PM  
Blogger colorfool said...

Thanks you two. 8-)

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the rear of the stores (fabric) and look at the remnents. I used to work for JoAnns and they have a stack of fabric in the back at cut rate prices. Also, try cutting up pairs of old jeans. Denim makes great bags. Hit garage sales, too. Good luck and thanks for all the great tutorials.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home