Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Ah, the goodness

I sewed something that turned out well! Lookie, lookie. I saw the tutorial on making the tissue cover from JoJo (link below). I thought I was going to cry when it actually turned out right. Nevermind that the red/white one is significantly bigger than the grey one.
I don't carry tissues in my purse/bag. Therefore, I'm pretty sure I don't need a cover for tissues either. But do I care? NOOoooo, because hot diggity dog I sewed something right! I think I'll toss 'em in the car. Pull them out at stop lights and very dramatically hold them up and pull a single tissue out, making sure the car next to me sees my marvelous creation. Or maybe I will carry it in my bag and whip it out in public. Flaunt it a bit. Shove it at strangers.
"HEY! Look what I made!" Or go around pulling tissues out of my handy dandy tissue thingy to wipe things or people off.
"Oh dear, your child has a smidge of something on his cheek. Heavens, what can be done? Ah, I have the perfect thing! Fear not! I will save you and your child from the crumby face embarrassment."
Second thought, maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. There I go again. Showing my weirdness.

*I have a sewing question. When a pattern gives you the measurements for the material you are going to use and then says, "have a 1/4 seam allowance". Is that included in the measurements they give or are you supposed to add it yourself?

Until I figure out a better way to link/reference/list good ideas here are a few I saw yesterday:
Bessilu made a nifty little pouch for baby wipes and referred us to this site for that, and other patterns.
JoJo has the super clear tutorial on how to make the above cover for those little pocket packs of tissues.

6 Comments:

Blogger beki said...

Cute tissue holder - your ideas crack me up! I don't carry tissues in my purse either, but if I had a handy dandy holder like that I would.

About the seam allowance, it depends on the pattern. Most patterns include the seam allowance, so you don't have to add any. The only ones I've used that didn't were Burda patterns, which are German.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Duh! I'm going to have to change that on my pattern. Sorry. Don't have to add. Just have to sew at the 1/4 line on the machine...can you tell I'm not a professional? I don't know the lingo yet!

Glad they turned out so cute!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

p.s. I'm thrilled that you tried the pattern! You're the first person I know that has done it so far. Thanks for being my guinea pig!!!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger laura capello said...

Typically, it will say ADD it if you need to add it; otherwise, it is already included in the measurements.

And those are so cute. I don't carry tissues either -- I just keep a big box in the van (blah, minivans).

2:25 PM  
Blogger colorfool said...

Thank you for the measurement info all.
Thank YOU JoJo for the tutorial!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you asked about the seam allowance b/c I never knew and was too embarrassed to ask. These were so cute, I decided to make one myself. Hooray for quick crafts!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home