Sunday, March 12, 2006

A new list

I was trying to sew an incredibly simple drawstring bag yesterday and a few days before that too. My brain does not get sewing instructions apparently. I really am not a stupid person. I graduated 12th in my highschool class of 400. I graduated with honors and a 3.8 from a top-rated university- brag, brag, brag, I know, but seriously sometimes I think I am really dumb. I mean, a drawstring bag. It doesn't get much simpler than that. I had a few things I wanted to be able to sew when I decided to buy the sewing machine and one of those was to be able to sew bags.

I stopped carrying cute little purses when Keely came along. I now only carry tote bag style ones. I thought it would be easy to do. Yesterday I had a sobbing crafty meltdown. Boo-hoo crying because I can't learn to sew in 15 minute spurts. I really want to be productive and crafty, but also to be super mommy. Unfortunately, I get snappy with the little one when she won't leave me alone for a little bit when I'm trying to do something. Obviously, this is not fair to her. I don't like being that way either. My frustration is not her fault. I do not know how to balance my crafty pursuits with being the kind of mommy I want to be all the time. I've been working on this issue for awhile now. I guess I better work a little harder.
I only get about 15 minutes here and there to work on any project and that just doesn't work for me. I need long stretches of time to learn how to do something new. I need quiet, uninterrupted time. HELLO! Not going to happen anytime soon. What to do.

I think I am going to go with finding simple, quick satisfaction projects for awhile. Projects that from start to finish take no more than one hour. Cards, bean bags, marble magnet thingies (currently in the works). I am looking for suggestions. That way, I can be crafty quickly and have a decent no-fail project completed and be the nice, happy mommy I want to be. If you have any semi-useful projects that someone with little skill and little time can make inexpensively, I am all ears. I'm making another list. Things-I-can-probably-actually-make-sometime-in-the-near-future.

9 Comments:

Blogger laura capello said...

I know what you mean; it's quite difficult being crafty when the kids are piling up on you wanting to help and participate. I've learned that sometimes you have to give them something to do too. Like when I pay bills or sketch out a new project, I give them crayons and paper. Or when I'm sewing, I get out a special toy for them to play with (Griffin's getting old enough to start play-sewing so that will help).

And typically, a "simple" project will take me three to four times as long to make as it would if I didn't have the boys. But the trade-off is totally worth it.

It's difficult, I know. But you're doing a great job.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I totally empathize! I get so frustrated looking at the bookemarked lists of projects I want to work on, but just don't have the time to do. By the time they are both in bed at night, I'm just too tired to do anything. But I'm trying to let go a little bit and realize that eventually I'll have more time...and until then I'll have to be satisfied with little projects that wind up taking weeks to finish! But know that you are not alone. :)

2:22 PM  
Blogger beki said...

Honestly, the only time I get anything done is during naptime and after bedtime. Sure, that has made for some late nights, but for me it is worth it. There is no way I can get anything crafty accomplished with the kids around. Thankfully, my hunband will play with the kids outside or in their room when there is something I need to get done.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely know how you feel! It is so hard to grab time to get things done-- that's why most of the things I make are of the fifteen minute-spot variety (magnets, cards, plastecine/fimo, Wees). I'm trying to teach myself how to sew, too, and it is not at all easy without someone to give you a hint now and then.

I do rely on two things in particular: one is having activities for the kids to do while I am busy (and then setting myself a time limit-- usually half an hour) and being very clear what the expectations are for that time. They do learn to respect and even enjoy this quiet parallel time eventually.

And secondly, doing crafts with the kids pretty regularly, too (the robots, etc), so they have a better appreciation of what I try to do without them.

Good luck! And if you have any miraculous insights, do pass them on.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Recently found your blog and am enjoying it very much! I've got 2, soon to be 3, little ones at home too, and feel your pain!! It's all I can do during the day to keep everyone fed and clean and cared for. My oldest,4, doesn't take naps anymore, but when his little bro is napping, that's our special time to hang out together, just the two of us, so I can't craft then either. So yeah, I'm pretty much limited to crafting after the kids are in bed.

I do have a friend w/2 kids who is into knitting. She comes over once a week and her little one naps upstairs with mine (separate rooms) while her older one plays with my older one. So we can sit, knit, chat and have our coffee. That's worked out pretty well.

But, I'm like you. Always on the lookout for something quick and satisfying. I guess that's why I've been quilting lately. I can break it into small pieces and feel like I'm making progress...i.e. completing 2 quilt blocks a night.

Best! joanna

10:10 AM  
Blogger colorfool said...

Jenn: Thank you for being a new commenter here 8-). I guess if you know of a pattern for the simplest tote bag on the planet that would be swell. 8-)
To my other oh so loyal commenters above: You rock with your kindess. You make a bit teary. Thankyou for your advice, sharing, and listening to me whine.
Jo-Jo: another new commenter-yahoo! I just checked out your site. You make some awesome stuff. I just added you to my blogline list. Thank you for sweet words.

You all have several children! AH! I am impressed with you all, really.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi again,
at least you can still write! i have two college degrees and ever since starting my blog i've realized i now write like a ninth-grader! (or less) that's what happens when you stay home, you lose your mind. as you know, i only have babybug and do share your feelings. husband and i made an agreement. when he comes home from work, it's my time. he must watch babybug so i can cook dinner in peace without having her cling onto my legs. somehow (i wonder how??) he manages to watch babybug while he washes the dishes. i lock myself in the sewing room. babybug runs down the hall and bangs on the door while calling out for me. the me-time has really helped husband see how tiring everything can get. and, i have only one, like you. can you imagine if we had another :) though, i am getting the second baby urge. yikes! are you? btw, thanks for always visiting my blog. it makes me happy to see your comments!

3:27 PM  
Blogger colorfool said...

Tasha: Thank you for your survival tactics. 8-)
Yes, I do get the second baby urge on good days but there is so many things I have to consider before going down that road again.
Your blog is good and I can't tell you enough how much I like your bags.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have typed this post and I'm so happy I found you through babybug... I'm getting some great information here. Thanks. :) And from one mama to another NAPTIME! That's the ONLY time I get things done.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home